Read Write Inc. at Ireland Wood
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
In Reception and Key Stage 1 we teach daily phonics lessons to ensure every child is a successful reader. We follow the Read, Write Inc. (RWI) phonics programme; grouping children according to their reading ability and reading level. Children who still need to access phonics in KS2 also have daily RWI lessons to ensure they catch up. Every half term once the children have been assessed and regrouped we will inform you of what group your child is in so that you know what sounds they are working on.
Read, Write Inc is a systematic and dynamic literacy programme rooted in phonics. We teach children how to break down and decode words into their separate sounds components, known as phonemes. There are 44 phonemes taught throughout the programme, all of which are embedded in a range of fiction and non-fiction books. The words are taught prior to reading a book to ensure children are equipped at decoding them; we call this 'Fred Talk'.
Fred (the frog) is a RWI character that only speaks in pure sounds (sounds in a words before they are blended e.g. d-i-g).
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds e.g. c-a-t = cat
- learn to read words using ‘Fred Talk’
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds they need in ‘Fred Talk’
- write simple sentences
Sounds that the children learn:
Set 1 - m, a, s, d, t, i, n, p, g, o, c, k, u, b, f, e, l, h, sh, r, j, v, y, w, th, z, ch, qu, x, ng, nk
Set 2 – ay, ee, igh, ow, oo, oo, ar, or, air, ir, ou, oy
Set 3 – ea, oi, a-e, i-e, o-e, u-e, aw, are, er, ow, ai, oa, ew, ire, ear, ure, tion, tious, cious, e
What does a Read Write Inc Lesson look like?
Each lesson has the same structure so children focus on the new learning rather than worrying about what is going to happen next. Children are grouped according to their ability so they only tackle work that is achievable. This makes learning to read more enjoyable and allows the children’s learning and confidence to flourish side by side.
Please see the resources/further information attached to use to help at home.
Please have a look through this powerpoint to gain a better understanding of RWI phonics programme.
Please open and download these resources to support your child's learning at home.
- Letter Formation Practise - masdt.pdf
- Letter Formation Practise - jwvth.pdf
- Letter Formation Practise -ckubf.pdf
- Letter Formation Practise - elhshr.pdf
- Letter Formation Practise -inpgo.pdf
- Letter Formation Practise -zchqx.pdf
- RWI SET 1, SET 2 and SET 3 rhymes list.docx
- set 1 flashcards new.pub
- SET 1 letter formation.docx
- Set 1 Green Words.pdf
- set 1 sound mat.pub